Saturday, August 16, 2008

presidential forum at saddleback


UPDATE @ 9:38pm:
my analysis of the event:

i don't think that i will be able to pick a candidate to support for a while... i really like some things that both of them want to do, and i find some things that both want to do as terrifying.

at this point, i just want to see them be real and honest. i'm SICK of political-ese, canned answers, and pandering to their 'audience.' that's one reason that i love ron paul... spin does not exist to him.

obama: i thought he did a much better job of being 'real', thinking over his answers, not being afraid of saying certain things (admitting vulnerabilities, not always having all the answers, etc.). he embraced the format: a discussion with rick warren. i think his camp took the whole 'church' pandering thing too far... quoting scripture, sucking up to warren and saddleback, etc. he dodged some questions, but overall addressed some questions straight up that i thought he would spin.

mccain: my immediate reaction is negative, because he took this 'conversation with rick warren,' and turned it into him speaking to 'his friends' and took advantage of the opportunity to address the people, rather than embracing this format (see my thoughts on spinning things for your campaign above). he did way more answer dodging and spinning than i expected; this, after all, is a church, and the church is thought of as a bit more conservative. he did an awful lot of spinning... "rick, may i tell another story?" i was impressed with some of his passionate statements about his love for this country and its people, though.

as a neutral observer, my personal opinion is that obama gained more from this event than mccain. he didn't have as much of an appearance of this being a 'campaign/stumping event,' and i think that the public will appreciate that. he really allowed himself to be vulnerable to rick warren, where-as mccain had more of an 'i have all the answers' attitude.

------------

this is incredibly interesting... seeing these guys answer tough questions in conversation form.

whether you love or hate mccain, you must admit that HE HAS ROBOT ARMS. it drives me nuts! i mean he literally does the robot dance by just walking across the stage.

i personally wish that ron paul was up there answering those question... i think people would fall in love with him.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know why his arms don't bend? They were broken when his plane was shot down and as a POW his captors tortured him - he does not have full use of his arms and cannot lift them over his head.

bh said...

didn't know that... i feel a little bad now... haha

Jason Skidmore said...

Agree 100% with the Ron Paul comments. He is the best candidate for President it just sucks that the media makes us believe that there are only two that can actually win. Ron Paul got some publicity this year, but the overall public feeling is that he doesn't have a "real" chance at President and I think people felt like it would be a wasted vote. I do not know who I am voting for, but it won't be McCain or Obama, although I like that Obama admits Jesus is Savior. I just don't know what exactly Obama has up his sleeve. Something about him just screams trickery and deceit, don't know why, it is just my gut feeling he puts up a false front.

Rick said...

I'm not much of a blogger but I saw that Lyndsey posted your link on the Crawford site and then read your assessment of the Rick Warren event. I just had to add a comment! I think you were pretty much dead on. McCain knew the buttons to push for that particular crowd and he did it pretty well. Obama was probably more "real" though and took the risk of saying what he truly felt. There are certainly more just causes out there than abortion and gay rights. Although I can't seem to find anyone in my family to agree with me I think the current administration has let the conservatives down making it hard for people like me even to say that is what I am... or was. and... I couldn't agree more about Ron Paul...

bh said...

thanks for the comments guys!